Sweet juicy watermelon paired with salty feta, fresh arugula, a balsamic glaze, topped with fresh cracked pepper.
You aren’t going to believe this, but I am probably one of the very few people who isn’t the biggest fan of watermelon. So it was a huge surprise to everyone when I decided to buy a watermelon to try a new salad. So this is the first watermelon I have ever bought and it just happens to be for this salad. I know, I’m crazy!
I decided to start small and buy the baby size instead of a full size one, just in case I didn’t end up liking the salad and I did want to waste an entire watermelon, and it’s easier to cut and takes up a lot less space.
So, this salad is a bit of a twist I decided to grill the slices of watermelon on a grill pan, but just be careful not to grill it too long. If you do it gets kind of mushy and slimy which is not a very pleasant taste or texture. A good alternative is to actually use a grill, I just don’t own a grill so I used a stovetop pan. Watermelon paired with feta is a sweet and salty combination that I surprisingly absolutely love! Then when you throw in the freshness and peppery taste of arugula really send this salad over the top. I finished the salad with a sweet balsamic reduction drizzled on top will some fresh cracked pepper, which not only made the grilled watermelon salad look beautiful, but completes the sweet and salty flavors of this delicious summer salad on your taste buds! To my surprise I found this salad delicious, if your looking for a new twist on a salad I highly recommend this one.
- one watermelon (whole or baby)
- feta cheese crumbled
- fresh cracked pepper to taste(optional)
- Balsamic reduction (recipe found here)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Cut the watermelon into desired shapes either in cubes for skewers or in t block squares like I did.
- Place the slabs of watermelon onto a heated grill pan and grill for about 2-3 minutes per side or until marked and warm. Remove from pan
- Place the grilled watermelon onto a little bed of arugula, add more arugula on top sprinkle some feta cheese, and drizzle the balsamic reduction on top before serving.
- Top with some kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.