Vicks VapoRub is something that has always been in my moms and grandmas medicine cabinet. Since I have been living on my own, I don’t think I’ve ever used it, but I have it in my medicine bag incase I need it to help me with a sore throat or sinus congestion. I recently opened the bottle and it reminded me of home, when my mom would rub some of it on my chest and forehead whenever I was sick. I made me a little homesick (I don’t know about you but whenever I’m sick I feel better when my mom takes care of me :).
I decided to do some research on what other uses this product has, since most of my family swears by it… I had no idea that their were some many uses that I had never thought of!
1. Chest decongestant: The most common and well know use for vicks is to decongest your chest and throat. When applied on your upper chest, it provides great relief to your cough and congestion symptoms.
2. Cough relief: if you apply Vicks to the bottoms of your feet it provides nighttime cough relief. Seriously! Rub VapoRub all over your feet and cover them with sock, and within seconds your cough should go away, and when you wake up in the morning you will fell refreshed since you got a full nights sleep without coughing!! Bonus!
3. Achy Muscles: It helps to relieve sore and achy muscles. The Vicks helps to increase circulation, and provides instants aid (but so does tiger bomb) and you need to use a generous amount.
4. Peeing Pet Deterrent: If your dog or cat is not yet potty trained, or has a bad habit of peeing in certain unwanted places, put an open bottle of Vicks on the area he or she likes to mark as their territory. The smell will discourage them from lifting their legs and wetting your rug.
5. Helps Get rid of Nail Fungus: If you have or suspect you have fungus rub the VapoRub on your toenails, after a few days your nail should turn dark, which means that the Vicks is killing the bacteria and the fungus. As your toenail grows out, the dark part will grow off and you will have fungus-free feet. Keep applying the Vicks over a period of two weeks to fully cleanse nail beds of any remaining bacteria. I know its disgusting but it’s effective.
6. Headaches: (my favorite usage) rub a small amount on your temples and foreheads to help apply relief to rid you of your headache.
7. Ear Aches: Apply a small amount of the VaporRub to a cotton ball and place in your ear to relieve any ear pain.
8. Mosquito repellent: All you need to do is rub it all over your exposed skin. I love the smell of Vicks but the only downside to this is that it might be too strong to smell all day for you and others.
9. Bug Bites: Apply directly to your bite to relieve the itching
10. Cracked Heels: Apply generously to your heels at night and put on a pair of socks, and the moisture will help to repair your skin
11. Acne: Dab a little onto your zip to clear it up
12. Cold Sores: Rub a little on the spot where you feel one developing
13. Paper Cuts and Splinters: To prevent infection and speed up healing time, dab a small amount of Vicks on any small cut or splinter.
14. Humidifier: VapoRub can be used in special types of humidifiers and vaporizers, it held to circulate the Vicks throughout the air and help you breath easily and clearly all night. Make sure your humidifier has an aromatherapy compartment before you use it. Ensure your humidifier has an aromatherapy compartment before using.
15. Remove Ticks and Bugs: If you get bitten by a tick, apply Vicks immediately. The strong odor might help get the critter to release itself and get off of you.
16. Erase Stretch Marks: I haven’t tried this one yet but I definitely will. Vicks contains menthol, eucalyptus oil and camphor, all of which are natural ingredients that can help with the smoothness and moisture of your skin.