It’s a nice and sonny day here in Seattle, so today I am sharing a yummy recipe my mom and I made for dinner this week! Since it’s been nice weather here for a few days, and great for an outdoor jog/yoga workout, I figured it was ok to cheat a little and eat some pizza. This homemade recipe actually tastes a lot like some of the pizza I used to eat when I traveled to Italy, a couple of years ago. Everything was homemade, from the sauce to the dough, so it tastes very authentic, but I put my own twist to the dough to make it at little healthier!
So turn on your favorite movie, pop this in the oven, relax and….enjoy!!!
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp. instant yeast
- 4 cups (22 oz.) bread flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cup water, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Measure the warm water into a measuring cup, and sprinkle the yeast over the top. In a large bowl combine and blend the bread flour and salt. Slowly pour the water yeast mixture, and the olive oil into the flour and salt mixture, and mix until a dough is formed. Knead for about 5 minutes. You can use and electric mixture to make the process easier, I don’t have one so I did this by hand.
Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise, about one hour, I let it rise longer than that but only because I make my dough in the morning.
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4-5 plum tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil leaves (use fresh basil, it tastes better and has an amazing smell)
- Combine the oregano, tomatoes and garlic in a skilled and bring to a simmer over medium high heat, until the tomatoes become soft and mushy. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to the sauce. Let it cool for a while and pour the sauce into a blender. Blend until the smooth and the tomatoes are no longer chunky. Place the sauce back into the pan and mix in the chopped basil.
the pizza dough: Press down the dough to deflate it. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces. Form each piece of dough into a smooth, round ball. Cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let the dough relax for 20 minutes.
To bake, preheat the oven to about 500F, for at least 30 minutes. Transfer the dough to your shaping surface, lightly sprinkled with flour. Shape the dough with lightly floured hands. Brush the outer edge lightly with olive oil., and bake for about 5 minutes.
Remove your pizza from the oven and evenly spread the sauce over your pizza crust. Top with mozzarella, parmesean, and any of your favorite toppings. I used spinach, bell peppers, whole slices of tomatoes, and jalapenos. Place the pizza back in the oven and bake until the crust is crisp and the cheese is melted, for about 10-15 minutes.
That’s it!! Now grab a slice, cozy up, and enjoy your yummy pizza and favorite movie!! A great way to spend a relaxed night!!
Hope you enjoy!!